Most of us will have the importance of good oral health drilled into us from a very early age by parents or guardians but as we get older and busier in day-to-day life, there is always the temptation to rush or completely miss certain processes that contribute to good oral health. This could be a costly or even painful mistake to make!
Here are a few simple tips on how to maintain and improve oral health that absolutely everyone should do:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day – This should be carried out at least twice a day to maintain optimum oral health. Use a soft bristle brush or electric toothbrush and dentist-approved toothpaste – don’t forget to give your tongue and gums a gentle brush as well!
- Flossing – Flossing is often neglected – Pieces of food get stuck in between your teeth and have the potential to cause tooth decay and gum disease if you don’t clean it out! Try getting into the habit of flossing once a day. Your local dentist should be able to provide some pointers as to the best brand/type of floss for your teeth.
- Use Mouthwash – Mouthwash is not only good for removing food debris and bacteria from the mouth but also great for fresh breath! Although you get a nice minty clean feeling in your mouth, remember it’s no substitute for regular brushing and flossing!
- Limit sugary and acidic foods and drinks – these can damage your teeth and create tooth decay.
- Visit your dentist regularly – regular check-ups can help you to maintain optimal oral health, whilst allowing early identification of any potential issues.
- Consider reducing or quitting smoking – in addition to staining teeth affecting the overall aesthetic of your smile, smoking and tobacco can lead to a variety of oral health issues, including gum disease and cancer.
If you’d like some more tips to help you on your journey to optimum oral health, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our dentist in Barellan Point.Leave a reply →